I loved so many things about the old playroom, especially the fact that it was full of DIY affordable hacks. The pictures aren’t fantastic quality as I wasn’t blogging at the time…hehe.
The wall pictured above was a great way to display some of my daughter’s masterpieces. I purchased that curtain rod from Ikea and bought the little curtain clips from there too. I want to say that the whole thing cost me less than $8.
The fairy chairs pictures above were my favorite. I got the solid white table and chair set from Ikea and dressed them up. I bought simple elastic tutus from The Ribbon Retreat and slipped them on. You can try to glue on to secure (I didn’t…just would have to readjust often). I purchased the wings from eBay (but I’ve also seen them at the dollar store in the past). Drape them over the chair and tie them down using ribbon and tulle. I tied them at the middle and small ties using thin ribbon and the wings’ existing elastic.
That chalk board bucket was a find from HomeGoods. I found a bunch that I use as storage.
The canopy is from Cost Plus World Market. I got the banner pieces from Michael’s craft store (in the $3 section) and my mom cut out the letters for me on glitter cardstock paper. The butterfly mobile (inside the canopy) I made using a foam wreath and wrapping it with marabou feathers (securing with glue gun). I then punched out butterflies (using a Martha Stewart butterfly punch from Michaels as well) and glued them on clear fishing wire to make it look like they are fluttering.
We went back and forth on how to do the art wall, originally I wanted to paint it directly on the wall. When I looked up the process I decided we weren’t crafty or patient enough to follow through. I found these chalk MDF boards at Home Depot and my husband drilled 4 of them into the wall. You can see the screws and lines of chalkboards up close, but it was the perfect solution for us as it only took an hour to do AND we have since moved the playroom and just removed the boards.
The bean bag is actually storage for stuffed animals. I bought the cover from Pottery Barn Kids and put all of her stuffed animals inside.
This 3D art was my absolute favorite to make. I used the same butterfly punch out to make LOTS of butterflies in various shades of purple (using a purple cardstock shade kit from a craft store). I drew the heart using a pencil on the canvas. Then, I folded the butterflies to make them look more real. I used square foam stickies to stick them on. I used some glitter cardstock to add some sparkly butterflies too.
The ledge above the art wall was from ikea. In hindsight (and since I’ve moved the playroom) I would recommend putting the ledge underneath to catch some of the chalk dust. We also learned to just let the kids play with lighter shades of chalk as the darker/brighter colors were staining the carpet, etc.
I got this frame from Ikea and made the clothes pin board by using cardboard, quilter’s batting, fabric, glue gun, stapler and ribbon. Cut the cardboard out to fit, cover with fabric leaving a little bit open to fill with batting and then seal. I had used a hot glue gun to adhere fabric to cardboard. Once stuffed; play around with ribbon placement and staple at the very edge so you won’t see the staples when in frame. I bought the fun clothes pins at Michaels.
You will see a lot of the above repurposed in the new gender-neutral playroom! Let me know what you think!