Lately I’ve been bitten by the declutter-bug. Mostly because we are being drowned in kiddie toys. We have way too much ‘stuff’ and it’s overwhelming. So I have decided to start in one corner of the house and purge, purge, purge! Currently, I’m tackling Layla’s room (I think it’s the most cluttered) and it is about 75% done. I’m a firm believer in clutter causing overwhelming emotions and such. It may be a coincidence, but since the room has become a little more manageable, so has her behavior!
My favorite furniture pieces are those that are multi-functional. One of those is the book bench in Layla’s room. I made this over a year ago when I was looking for the perfect kid-friendly bookshelf. I love it so much that I made another for the playroom to store toys.
Here is why it’s so great:
- She can reach all of the books without worrying that she will pull anything down on herself.
- Because they are so easy to reach, it fosters for lots of quiet book perusing.
- The bench is cushy and comfortable to read or play on. When she’s older I will probably move to the window because it’s the perfect height.
- It’s from Ikea so if it gets beat up or trashed I won’t be too bummed.
When perusing Pinterest for this bench hack, you will find a lot of links. Here is the one I used. It will take you to iheart Organizing. I love it because it is a no-sew option that is super easy to follow. Sewing is not happening here. The only change I made is that I used batting fabric to make the bench a little smoother around the edges.
- Canopy drapes from Amazon here. With a sheer scarf draped over, also from Amazon (here). I used white ribbon and those flowers (from a local craft store) serve as tie-backs.
- Chandelier: Pottery Barn Kids. Similar one linked here.
- Ikea Kallax Shelving Unit can be found here.
- Duvet cover: Urban Outfitters. Similar one found here and here.
- Bed: The bed was my sister’s from a local furniture shop. I have linked similar ones here, this one is a steal (click here) and this is different but so adorable, check it out here.
If you come over in the near future expect my house to be more of a wreck than normal. Why is it that when I’m spring cleaning, the mess just keeps moving from room to room?? At this rate, I will be done by spring 2017!!
This post contains affiliate links